Friday, June 11, 2010

"You can pray for peace... I'm gonna train for war."


"Why do I do it... Because if everyone expected the other guy to volunteer nobody would do it. For those before us so their service, lost friends, lost love, lost limbs and lives are not in vain. to ensure our very way of life... this privileged life lived by so few is preserved for those to come and those who I will call my brother when it's their turn to carry the torch and burden.



I don't ask you to understand or know and comprehend what we do, see, and live. it's not possible, I've already tried, but I do ask for you not to forget us. Especially those freezing, or burning up, tired, wet, hungry, and wondering if they will see tomorrow morning or even the next hour. Those are my brothers and it's an honor and a privilege to have stood and fight next to them again and again.

I know where I'm going... I just don't care how I get there. I'll run through hell in a Gasoline Suit for any of my friends and family, and I'll always defend and fight for those too weak to fight for themselves."



I've heard many times that dating and marrying a Marine is like a kiss of death because they're crazy. And while I can attest to their sometimes off behavior, I can't help but be in awe of those men and women who put their lives on the line for my comfort and safety.

My heart flutters a bit every time I see a man in uniform, I mean the uniform does manage to make every man look GOOD, but it's more about what that uniform stands for that gives me palpitations.

These are the very men who will likely watch a fellow brother die in front of them, will see limbs blown away, will be asked to kill unmercifully, and will live with the images of every death that has happened at their hands.

And for this, I cannot help but feel humbled in their presence, because they do all of this while I sit at home complaining of the heat or of the cold, while watching TV and eating chili.

My biggest worry is that these lazy ESPN and ABC announcers will say anything that Kobe wants them to say, meanwhile lives are being lost in un-Godly places for my ability to do so. In all honesty I feel a bit like a whiner when I come into contact with any of them, they are so my Heroes.

So, while this could have and would have been another Blog detailing my expertise where it comes to these NBA Finals, but my favorite movie "A Few Good Men", a guy who I know who breathes every breath so that he can defend this great Nation while serving as a Marine Lt, got in my way.

His very devotion to such a thankless job is breathtaking to me. If I could I would salute every officer who puts on the very duties and responsibilities that so many of us try to shirk off and try to get away from. But since I have never gone through the training, I feel it would be a dishonor to those who have, to even salute anyone, I mean who am I that I should gain that privilege.

They face death, sometimes daily, and temperatures that aren't fit for roaches to survive let alone humans. They go hungry, and are trained to withstand torture and brainwashing in order to keep us all comfortable back at home.

They take bullets, and lose limbs so that I never have to know the atrocities of war on our home soil.

So to every serviceman and woman out there, thank you for "standing on that wall", in often a thankless environment. Thank you for standing in the gap between freedom and war. Thank you for offering your lives for my safety and the safety of my family.

To the families of these fine men and women, may God Bless you and keep you forever close to Him, may you know His peace as you await the homecoming of your loved ones. And thank you for supporting America's finest!!!

I hope and pray one day we give all of our Servicemen and Women the honor, respect and support that they deserve and need.

No comments:

Post a Comment