Monday, May 24, 2010

Woo me with D-Fence :-)

So the other night went well.
I managed to find an outfit that didn't overexpose me, and that was trendy at the same time.

But, I must say the most fun that I had this past weekend was on Saturday, I got to help celebrate the conclusion of an educational journey of a good friend, and I got to watch the Celtics beat down the Orlando Magic.



More importantly I got to watch my new favorite player do what he does best, hustle for the ball, and play uncompromising defense. I'm talking about Rajon Rondo.

It was funny, because as I talked about his exploits on the court I seriously sounded the way most females sound when they are swooning over the Rock. Yeah I was literally swooning over the way this guy gets the ball to his teammates for assists, and the way he gets back on 'D'.

And let's be honest, although he's not ugly by any stretch of the imagination, he's not gonna be in Teen Beat or anything...although, his clean baby face could possibly be that of a 12 year old's....

I mean really, I could write poetry about the way this guy plays with his heart on his sleeve, his dive for the loose ball that Orlando's Jayson Williams should have gotten to, won my heart over.

I'll save the rest of my superlatives of this guy, because then this blog will really become a sport's blog really easily, and that is not my intentions LOL. (I did say that I love sports, right?)

But, why would I concentrate on such seemingly insignificant things like a ballgame when deciding on the character of a guy? Because most of the time, character can be seen best in the way a guy plays a game. Really!!

Case in point, there was this one guy who I shall call Semi, who, while in college got a lot of attention because he had the ambition to become a doctor and always dressed the part of an up and coming professional, while most guys wore baggy clothes.

Purely aesthetically, he wasn't terrible to look at, I guess, but it really had no bearings on me, because I felt that he thought he was better than me anyway. So I spared him not a second glance...until he was playing a game of Tonk with some friends of mine.

For most of the game, he was the only one talking, trash mostly. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily, as I definitely LOVE talking trash when playing Hearts or Spades. But this guy went on and on about how good he was and how bad everyone else was who he was playing, for money mind you, while the cards fell his way.

But once those cards started going against him, his tune changed really quickly....but he didn't shut-up. Nope, he kept talking, but instead started berating folks around him, saying how others must have been cheating because there was no way he was losing!!! I almost choked, laughing at his ridiculousness.

And from then on out, he was labeled as scum in my eyes. Why? Because, when you play a game, any game, no matter how skill oriented the game may be, there are going to be factors that you cannot control. And being a good looser is just as important as being a good winner, in my eyes. Because sometimes you're gonna lose, no matter how good you are.

No team in the NBA or MLB have ever had a perfect season, so greats like, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Derek Jeter, and Greg Maddux have all had to learn to take loses with their wins. I'm not saying that any of these guys took those losses well, but if these great sport heroes had to do it while at the top of their games, so does everybody else.

Needless to say, I can't stand guys who can't take a lose well, or who give up when it seems like they're going to lose, or who can't even manage to give you respect when you do manage to beat them every once in a while. So if I had known Jordan and Bird personally, I probably would not have wanted to friends with them at all from all reports on how competetive they were and are.

The same for LeBron and Kobe...to some extent. Both have maturity problems, but even though I HATE Kobe, Kobe looks like a true blue champion when compared to Bron Bron, who gave up in game five versus the Celtics in the Conference Semi-Finals this year, while still on the court in the third quarter.

I can't stand it when the supposed leaders on their squads give up in the middle of the game, or check out because they can't fathom winning. I've been around a lot of teams on the losing end of the stick, and the ones I respect the most are those who never gave up and those who played hard no matter the score. Add to that someone who has a poker face like Tommy Glavine, Mia Hamm or Lindsey Whalen, and I'm practically in Love....not with Lindsey or Mia per say....but their attitude and heart with which they play.

So yeah, you may win more championships and have a prettier face, but the guys I respect and admire the most are those who play each inning, each quarter, each half, each hand, with an all-consuming spirit of wills to win, but who never lose their own respect for the game they are playing. Because often times, they way you play a game is the same spirit with which you play the hand you've been given in life. And I'd rather a loser who never stops fighting, than a coward who just happens to be a winner.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Rondo fan club. I've been a fan of him since the 2008 playoffs. I love how soft spoken he is and his quiet confidence. He plays with a lot of heart and leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Aritul, Thanks!!!

    @thelady, yeah, he know's to give credit where credit is due...while playing at a level that will enable his team to win. I hope they get it tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete