Friday, May 21, 2010

It's Friday Night and....

It's Friday night, and there's no youth group meeting for me to be at, and there's no place I have to be early tomorrow morning, so I'm going to head out with my girls on the town.

Problem....this very Blog, the writing of it and everything, has convicted me to such a level that now I am wondering what I SHOULD wear as opposed to what I'd like to wear.



I have the shear and gauzy concoctions that get me tons of approval ratings, and I have the really short-mini-skirt that I bought for my birthday a few years back. But now that I am down this road of trying to live for my God, what is a girl to wear out on the town?

True question here.

Also, I do LOVE dressing up and putting on makeup. I could care less if any guy takes notice of me, I enjoy doing it, because I'm an artist and I love creating new looks for myself with eyeshadow and eyeliner.

And this should be celebrated, after all it wasn't that long ago that some of my friends almost had heart-attacks when they tried to take me shopping for clothes. At the time I was still very much in my sweats and t-shirt phase, and they wanted me to "grow up" and be a lady.

Well, I'm a fighter, you're talking about the same girl who tore a hole in a lacy pink dress my mom got for me, while at church, accidentally on purpose, just so that I would never have to wear the atrocity again. And so that I wouldn't get in trouble for purposefully ruining it. I am the same fighter who knew exactly where I placed my pair of contacts so that I would never be able to find them, thus ending my parent's reign of terror on me to wear them.

Tell me I should do a thing, and I fight back. Give me space to find my way, and usually I'll find the exact same way you originally wanted me to. But let's be crystal clear here, I prefer the road less traveled, so even if I do end up in the same place as everyone else, my view of it will be from an entirely different path.

But back to my shopping excursion with my friends. They wanted me to buy sweaters, and knits and tight shirts and ....I wasn't having any of it. Then there was the colorful underwear they wanted me to get from Victoria's Secret, and the thong they wanted me to try....riiiiggghhhhttt.

Needless to say, none of their dreams came true that day. In fact it took almost five years for me to get one of them to help me out on a shopping excursion because she had been so traumatized by the whole thing...not to mention frustrated.

So have I changed, yes, and no. My favorite color underwear is still white and black, low-rise. And I still own exactly 0 thongs, but there are colors in the house. There's pink and red and blue, polka-dots and stripes. But lace and satin and such, negative, I like what I like, get over it.

As far as clothes go, I still prefer sweats and a t-shirt, but I also love long skirts and peasant blouses, and button down shirts in white :-). I still prefer cotton any and everything over satin. I love what I love and I fight back when someone suggests that I shouldn't.

So now it hurts my head to think about the choices in my closet. It hurts my head because I want to dress up, but I don't want to send the wrong message. I no longer want to dance with anybody, so looking like I want to...is out. I no longer want to draw attention to myself because of....anything, and so this limits my selection, by a LOT!!

And why should this be so, when I actually want to start dating?

Because I don't do meeting random guys and taking their numbers. I don't enjoy meeting new people when I go out, unless they are introduced by a mutual friend. I am a female, and too much can happen if I get stuck trusting the wrong guy. And although I think my intuition is pretty spot on, I have been known to be Wrong at times, and it only takes one wrong assumption to end up in the morgue at the end of a date gone bad.

So, yeah, decisions decisions, I'll fill ya in on the final decision and outcome later.

Have a safe and happy weekend otherwise!!!

2 comments: