Monday, June 14, 2010

Congrats Grads!

Yesterday at church, my pastor spoke to the recent grads about remaining upstanding citizens amidst the trash that they will face in college, grad school, and in the work place.

It got me to thinking about the supposed temptations of college that I managed to sidestep while there. The parties, alcohol, drugs, and of course sex. I mean I went to parties...when forced, and I drank, after I turned 21, and the rest I left for those who felt that they were equipped and ready for it.



I mean I like to breath so I said no to smoking, and I like sleeping...a LOT, and my best sleep comes when I'm on the cold side, so I said "no", to sharing a bed with anyone who'd raise the temperature in my bed...LOL.

I can remember my first college party, it was after a sporting event and to say the least upon learning that my ride was determined to go, I relented only after giving this person my best "If looks could kill, you'd be so DEAD right now" stare.

The party was boring, and not worth going over, but subsequent events did become more and more "eventful", but I actually hated them all. Really.

I mean you're talking about a tomboy who was attending events with girly-girls and to say the least, I felt completely out of place. My self-esteem could have taken some early hits at these parties, except for the "better than thou" company that I usually showed up with.

And I say all of this to say that I realize, more than anyone else, that my circumstances are definitely not the norm and so I can't expect anyone else to follow in my footsteps but it doesn't stop me from becoming disheartened to see little girls so anxious to grow up and face adult consequences.

I mean, I'm just now thinking that I may be getting too old to still be living the lifestyle of a college student, but even then, I am not anxious for the emotional upheaval that dealing with another human heart usually entails.

I just wish I can thump the stupid-ness out of so many I know, dealing with guys your own age, when they don't even know what it is they want, well not beyond getting you out of your pants, IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT the best laid idea. Especially when you're 18.

But I guess, my biggest problem, is the reality that so many are walking wounded, I mean literally with chunks of their hearts and souls missing, trying to find those missing pieces in other people. If you don't know where your pride, love for self, or self-respect is, no one else in this world is holding onto it waiting for you to come by and retrieve it from them.

In all honesty it just hurts my heart. Bleeding hearts should stop the damage first, staunch the flow, and then repair the tear before getting into new relationships where damage is likely to come.

I mean, that's life, we all, no matter how hard we try, will hurt each other, but the extent of the damage can be controlled by how well we take care of ourselves first, and then by communication once in a relationship....but that's a whole other issue.

Oh well, I guess I'll just hope and pray that the young women entering this Hades of a real world hold on tightly to what they know to be the truth. All that glitters is not platinum.

No comments:

Post a Comment