Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lockerroom Chatter

I had an intense conversation with a friend about my attitude where it concerned females and their attire.

Why intense?

Because it was pointed out to me that I tend to get snippy when those in my company get super flashy when we're going to be in the company of "eligible" bachelors.



Was she right?

Yep.

I have tons of issues, personal issues that don't allow me to dress up when I know I'm going to be surrounded by this sub-set of men. I mean for the most part they are twice my size, have money to spare and know that they can get any female they want.

Which is why I shy away from dressing to get any sort of attention. I wouldn't want them getting me confused with their amoratae.

Sure I'm a fan of most of them, but I don't want them thinking I'm trying to make the jump from my chair into their pants or anything. So I err on the side of EXTREME caution. Compared to the girls they normally see, I think I look like I literally rolled out of bed and .... TA DA, Here I Am!!

And why is this, you ask?

Because, as I've previously mentioned, in High School, I was the student athletic trainer for the Varsity football, basketball and baseball teams by my Sophomore, no Junior year. For those who may not know what an athletic trainer is, you know that person that runs onto the football field whenever someone gets hurt, with the over-sized fanny pack on? Yep that was me.

Anyway, during football season, the training room was at the stadium, and I spent a great deal of time in that room fixing up different ones for any number of ailments.

As it so happened the room was directly above the locker room the guys used to get ready for practice everyday. This wouldn't be worth much, except for the vent that connected the training room to the locker room thus bringing every sound from that locker room up into my sanctuary whenever the guys were in there.

Needless to say, I heard a LOT of stories that I would rather not have heard. Many involving girls I knew and cared for. It was, in fact, upon hearing many of these stories, and the ones on the bus to away games, (oh, and who can forget the ones that I heard sitting in the dugout at baseball games) that I decided that I would die if my name ever got mentioned in such a fashion.

These stories cemented in my mind, at the time, that I never wanted to be seen in any sort of sexual manner by anyone ever. And it took years of tears and curses by myself at myself, to get past that. I no longer give nasty looks to men who look appreciatively at me...that was a momentous occasion I assure you LOL!!

But what it has not changed, is my mindset where it concerns these guys and how I wish them to perceive me and those associated with me.

I would never wish for any female to be the butt of the crude jokes that often go on in dugouts and locker rooms. No respect is ever forthcoming from such utterances. And it hurts me to no end to know who these guys are speaking of.

So, yeah, I still have hangups about attire where it comes to most guys I associate with. I want them to work hard to figure me out, and they want me to show them everything they need to know in what I'm wearing...I usually win :-).

Lessons?
Not everyone heard and hears all that I hear...so I can't expect them to act according to knowledge that they have not been privy to.

Problems?
I can't get pissy when I haven't fully explained my POV on this situation...but I usually do...gotta stop

2 comments:

  1. I always had an idea that men talk like this around each other but to hear it confirmed is just depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to be the bearer of depressing news, but, now you know...and like G.I. Joe says, "knowing is half the battle!"

    ReplyDelete