Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy New YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Where's the Love?

So it's a New Year and tons of things have changed...and then again nothing has changed.

The SEC is still number one in College Football....but instead of Alabama, Auburn is #1

The Braves made the Playoffs, and lost in the first round...but coming up...no Bobby Cox

The Celtics are great and Shaq is on a playoff contending team....again

And just like clockwork race is still a factor in so many areas of our lives; sports, movies and dating.....as in Black women are still bitter about Black men choosing to date outside their race.



Why the sudden change in tone? Simple. I was watching a HS game on ESPN2 between the #2 team in the Nation from NJ, and the #21 team from Winterpark, Florida. Both teams featured highly touted recruits, one headed to Kentucky and the other headed to Duke as the #1 recruit. This kid, the kid headed to Duke, was and is the son of Celtics Coach Doc Rivers.

And by the looks of the kid, I could tell that the kid was mixed. Further investigation into his family landed me on an article in which Doc's wife spoke about the hardships she had faced in dating the star basketball player. To say the least, threatening phone calls and ruined paint jobs on her car were only a few of the trials she went through at the time.

Her aggressors at the time were considered to be bigots because they would not and could not understand why she would "lower" herself to date a Black man.

Fast forward thirty years and she and Doc Rivers should have the support of the Black community right? The fact that he has stayed committed and true to his wife and four kids should be celebrated right? Yeah you already know....the sad and despicable answer is no.

Even as we call down for racial equality and for equal opportunity and such, Doc Rivers is labeled as a turncoat, an Uncle Tom and any other racially derogatory term that we can come up with to tear him down in the eyes of others, even though we should be holding him up as a standard for what a Black Father ought to look like. And this disturbs me.

I mean the guy has an unblemished record, has won a World Championship as a Coach for one of the most diverse groupings of star players in the NBA, and we want to throw him under the bus because he fell in love with a woman in college and decided to make her his wife and do right by her....who just so happens to be white? Seriously?!?!?!?

Seriously, if this is what it now means to be a Black woman, spewing hate because of insecurities, then count me out.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of my skin tone, and proud of my heritage. I love the shape and color of my eyes, the gap in my teeth, and the curl pattern of my ultra curly and sometimes nappy hair. I love my wide hips, my narrow feet, my smallish boobs and my long nail beds. I even love my imperfections; each battle scar I wear with pride :-), and to be honest I thought that most Black women thought the same way that I did.

And although I keep hearing the talk from Black women about their pride in themselves, I keep wondering where their pride goes to hide whenever a Black guy and white woman pass them by. Because my pride in myself and my appreciation of myself does not see an attack on myself when an interracial couple passes me by. Instead I see love between the two.

I know that there are some people who would like for me to see this as an attack; who would love for me to want to change my hair, my skin, my body shape and my teeth in order to feel desirable. But I refuse all invitations.

I actually have been asked by numerous guys who like having the same conversation with me over and over again, in hopes, I think, of getting a different answer.

"Why do Black women hate seeing a Brother dating a white woman?"

And I like to answer them in a rather bored voice, "Because they're bitter."

"Why are they so D**** bitter?"

Bored voice-"I don't know ask them."

"Well what do you think? You're a Black female."

Exasperated voice-"I don't care who you like, just treat them right."

In all honesty, I think most men like to broach this subject with me to see if they can incite the "Angry Black Woman" who must reside just under the surface. Again, I reject their invitation by using my exasperated voice to let them know that I am not going to fall into the trap of being seen as the crazy and bitter "Angry Black Woman". Besides the truth is, is that I really do NOT care who you date, marry or procreate with. Just treat her with respect and compassion, and I'm ok with you.

But unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority on this subject.

And when I have asked why so many allow this subject to get them hot and bothered I have been told that it is more about the reasons than about the act in itself. It is about the fact that Black men see white women as the ultimate trophy or as vindication for some wrong done to them. I have heard the dismay and the disgust of Black women when speaking on this subject, that they (the men) have fallen for the social stigma that white women are more beautiful. or are easier to handle. But whatever the reason I have still not seen a reason to hate on white women or the Black men who date them.

Why not?
Simple.

I can lump it into two groups, Black men who I admire, and Black men who I don't. For those I admire, I recognize their respect and true admiration for the woman at their side. I know how hard it is to find someone who will love and support you for who you are so I applaud them for recognizing it and for having the balls to reach out and get the support they need, even though they know it may cost them much respect in their own community.

As for the others; well clearly I hold nothing against them because if asked to choose between them and my pillow as bedfellows for the rest of my life....my king size pillow wins every time. I mean how can I hate someone in whom I feel pity for. If this guy is so insecure in his manhood that only a certain kind of woman, will make him feel self assured...then by all means go and catch your lucky star. There are even the men who in reality hate themselves, and hate being Black, and so will go after a white woman for this reason, but whatever the psychosis is, it's not good, and I, for one, applaud them for not trying to fit me into their cock-a-ma-mee solution. I want nothing to do with it; and so I feel sorry, not hatred, for such lost souls.

So like I said I don't see how a Black man's decision to date a white woman or white women exclusively have anything to do with me. I don't want a man (Black, white or other)  who cannot and does not see my beauty and awesomeness. Furthermore, I do not want a man who is not uber confidant in himself as is. I do not want to complete any man, I want to complement him. If I am going to hand over my hand, my heart and my V-Card in marriage, said guy had better have his stuff together, and not be waiting on me to do it for him.

Love Peace and Chicken Grease folk!!!! :-)

9 comments:

  1. Great a Thread, I am a black man who loves black women, however i have dated many other races as well. Overall their were few real differences people are people. However I think Black men have lower expectations than black women making our task of finding love far easier. A perfect example is that most black supermodels Halle Berry Iman etc. happen to be with rich white men while most black athletes are with black women who come from humble means. Do the numbers most black sports figures have black wives, example Lebron James Kenyon Martin etc. Many black women in affluent circles refuse to lower themselves by being with a man outside their status class. The affluent educated Black woman feels she has worked to hard to settle for second best or someone not on her level thats why they are so angry and many times alone. Most successful black men do settle but they don't call it that they call it being in love and they accept that person as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a current list of black women who have white husbands & boyfriends:
    -Keisha Sharp and Swedish music producer Bradford Sharp
    -Dennette Jackson and Jon B.
    -Zoe Saldana and husband Keith Britton
    -Debra Wilson and fiance’ Cilff Skelton
    -Eve the rapper and Shane Powers
    -Tatyana Ali and wealthy European fiance’
    -Werner Klemperer and wife, actress Kim Hamilton
    -Billionaire Peter Norton (Norton Anti-Virus) and black wife Eileen Norton
    -Legendary Punk Rocker Iggy Pop and wife Nina Alu
    - Billionaire Vladimir Doronin and fiance’ Naomi Campbell
    -Kelly Rowland and wealthy Italian fiance’ of 2 yrs
    -Olympian Mary Wineberg and Husband (her Coach)
    -Model Alec Wek and Riccardo Sala
    -Canadian Singer Fefe Dobson and husband Michael Seater
    -Kim Wayans and husband Kevin Knotts
    -Shane Lynch (formerly of pop group Boyzone) and wife Sheena White
    -Zoe Kravitz and fiance’ Ben Foster
    -Mark Ecko and beautiful wife Allison Ecko
    -Chris Noth and Tara Wilson
    -Carlos and Deborah Santana
    -Iman and David Bowie
    -Paula Patton and husband Robin Thicke
    -Matt Stone (Creator of South Park) and wife Angela Parker
    -Model Denise Vasi and Noah Tepperberg
    -Virginie Silla & husband Luc Besson French Producer-Director and Movie Mogul
    -Oluchi (Nigerian Model) and husband Luca Orlandi (Fashion Designer)
    -Diamond Dallas Page (Pro Wrestler & Wrestling Manager) and girlfriend Angela
    -Stephanie Steward (African-American Journalist) & husband, Stefan Lust (German Comedian)
    -Wolfgang Puck (Celebrity Chef) and wife, Gelila Assefa
    -Venus Williams (Tennis Pro) and fiance’ Hank Kuehne (Ex-Golfer)
    -Tina Frimpong and Brad Ellertson
    -Dawn Simpson (daughter of BET’s Donnie Simpson) and fiance, Dan Falls (Real Estate Developer)
    - Justin Chambers (From Grey’s Anatomy’s) and wife Keisha Chambers
    -Mildred and Richard Loving (1st legal interracial couple in america)
    -Alison Stewart (former MTV News reporter and MSNBC anchor) and Bill Wolff (VP, MSNBC)
    -Tamala M. Edwards (former ABC White House correspondent) and Rocco -Lugrine (Philadelphia pastry chef and tycoon business owner)
    -Daniel and Marianne Pearl
    -Count Ferdinand and Countess Mary Von Hapsburg of Austria
    -Shantanella and husband McSerch (Detroit Radio Show Co-host and former rapper)
    -The Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein and black wife Princess Angela Brown
    -Robert DeNiro and wife Grace Hightower
    -Angela McGlowan and John Venners
    -Chuck Tiller (Houston talk radio host KNTH 1070 AM) and Wife Mary
    -J.J. Murray (author) and wife Amy Renee Murray
    -Thandie Newton and Ol Parker
    -Erica Dunlap (Miss. America 2004) and Brian Kleinschmidt
    -Lydia Carlston (Model) and Mats Carlston (Global Finance Practice Group Leader and Partner of Nixon, Peabody International Law Firm)
    -Alicia Marie and John Rocker
    -Nicole Narain (Playboy Playmate) and on and off boyfriend Colin Farrell (Actor)
    -Remy Shand (singer) and his wife Maiko Watson
    -Kira Arne & Tom Verica
    -Billionaire George Lucas and Mellody Hobson
    -Claire Hope-Ashitey (star of “Children of Men”) and Jo Charlesworth
    -Gloria Jones & Marc Bolan (70s British Rock Star)
    -Bruce Sudano & Donna Summer
    -Tanya and Ivan Sergei (Actor)
    -Barbara & Boris Becker (Tennis Pro)
    -Roger Ebert & Chaz Ebert
    -Kerry Washington & Efraim Grimberg
    -Heather Hedley & sexy Brian Musso (New York Jets)
    -Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon & Mike Nilon back together
    -Debra Wilson & husband Cliff Skelton
    -Aisha Tyler & Jeff Fietjens
    -Alfre Woodward & Roderick Spencer
    -Former Defense Secy William Cohen and Janet Langhart Cohen
    -Crystal & Paul Wall (Rapper and CEO)
    -Eunice & Sebastian Deisler (German Football Star)
    -Tamyra Gray (American Idol Finalist) & Sam Watters (Songwriter & Producer)
    -Sherry Bronfman (ex-wife of Edgar Bronfman Jr.–Seagram Liquor Heir)
    -Leslie Uggams & Graham Pratt (Australian Businessman)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's some serious research there!!! And I thank you for it and your input and support, however I don't think Black women need to "lower" their standards, I think they need their own version...our own version, of the Rooney Rule, that way more quality candidates of all races can be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never lower your standards, but lets Be clear you don't see black men trying to marry into the world richest families except maybe the Kardashians. The truth is black men are valued for athletic prowess and thats about it, and we aren't instilling the value of education and self empowerment in our young people hence the achievement gap. There is a role we all must play in furthering education amongst our people in order to see more parody between genders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true, but mainly that's because y'all are wanting, most of the time, to be the breadwinner of your family. So you all don't mind marrying a girl w/o means. Black women, and most women in fact are looking for guys who are at least well enough off that they won't have to worry about going right back to work 24 hours after having Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cmon now just admit it there a huge difference between the dating habits of rich black men vs rich black women. being able to support a woman is one thing, marrying a 60 year old billionaire is another I ain't saying she a gold digger but she ain't well you know the rest. I am currently in grad school and a lot of the black girls in my class wouldn't talk to me to tell me shirt was on fire. However there are plenty of girls that go to the career college down the road who will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a lot here I could say, and my next post did and does answer some of what you're talking about; but in reality what most women want is to be pursued by a confidant man. So, my real question is, how do you determine who you are going to pursue, and how do you approach her? In all honesty, guys with the higher profiles tend to exude more confidence, but I have met men who do not compare themselves with their wealthier friends and end up with way more choices of dates than their multimillionaire compadres.

    Besides, any girl worth her salt is not going to fall for the everyday and mundane charm that most men feel like should be good enough, she's going to make you prove your worth.

    Furthermore, trying to date a girl with major ambitions as the women in your grad school classes, is like playing basketball with or against MJ. He's not going to give you his respect just because you step on the court with him. You're going to have to play game after game to prove that you are worthy of his respect; and face it, you either are or are not up to taking the trash talk that is sure to come your way before any respect is given.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that this is what is at the heart of the matter. Brothers like myself tend to not be the confrontational type, why did i go to college that's what i was told i had to do. Didn't get a job after that i was told to get my MBA. You see guys who like that type of thing generally don't make it through the indoctrination process that is College. Most successful black men are either Alpha males who are born leaders or guys like me who try to make others happy and dread confrontation. I don't want to have to put up with trash talk or be ignored and have to beg to be acknowledged. I don't want to have to prove I am worthy of respect unless I have done something to loose it first. Now im not expecting a girl to go out with me just because I ask them, but mutual respect between two people isn't much to ask for. Its really sad because at night sometime I see the the clean up people come in the study hall and I will say hi and talk to them and alot of the other students will not even acknowledge them at all, like we are so much better than them. My Grandmother cleaned houses for thirty years i feel all work is worthy of respect and dignity. Some students will purposely make a mess so they have to do the job over again or call them illegal Amigos behind their back. If this is the type behavior that is expected in the higher levels of society count me out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hon, honestly, you may be your own worst enemy. Respect is earned...not given. Common courtesy is given, but I doubt that, that is what you want.

    And true respect starts from the inside. I am rarely disrespected by the higher profile males I come in contact with because of the way I carry myself and because of the respect that I show towards them. But, TRUST, if not for my belief in my own worth, they would trample all over me in a second.

    If you want to talk to a female who you are sitting in class with, you should have the self worth to know...KNOW that if she turns you down, that SHE is the one who is missing out, not the other way around.

    My earthly and Heavenly Father have taught me my worth over and over again, and I am worth being fought over and pursued. I am not the prettiest, nor am I rich by any means, but I am worth rubies and gold, and if you believe the same for yourself, the crap that bothers you know, won't in the future.
    Because in reality it has nothing to do with you, but with the other person you're dealing with.

    ReplyDelete